View Single Post
Old 16th August 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Gustav

Default Maranao battle kris

Dear All,

most of you have seen this kris posted already for nearly three month on a well known business site

Well, I thought, this would be one of the nicest kris of this kind, and after the price reached a more reasonable level I made an irresistible offer

I searched for the original auction where this kris was sold, and find it. It was indeed a Roosevelt family item as stated by seller, yet far more interesting is the statement of last owner George Roosevelt III:

" This Moro Kris Sword was brought back from the Philipines by Rear Admiral Walter S. Crosley during the Moro Insurrection at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was a personal weapon and not a presentation piece."

Walter S. Crosley most probably served on USS "Baltimore" at this time, I found a picture of him as a Lieutenant (Junior Grade) from 1899 on this ship "in Asiatic waters". USS Baltimore entered Manila bay at 1st May 1898 and remained on the Asiatic station until 23 May 1900, when she sailed for the U.S.

So most probably 1900 would be the latest date Walter S. Crosley could aquire this kris. The tag on the sheath says "From Cottabatto".

I were very thankful if a knowledgable person could give me some information about Walter S. Crosley in these years, or at what time USS"Baltimore" harboured in Cotabato.

The kris was attractive in my eyes becouse of nice fretwork on gangya (with 13 the highest number of holes I have seen with this kind of fretwork), the nice and big bunti wood Kakatua hilt, the complete scabbard and the cord attached to the hilt.

I wanted to post some pictures before I will start with the cleaning and repair of the sheath.

The length of the blade: 60,5 cm, overall 76 cm. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote