Thread: Timonium 2009
View Single Post
Old 25th March 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'd like to join in to say that Baltimore was incredibly exciting! It is an overwhelming series of events that surround our always fun dinner and talks, and as always, thank Artzi and Avner Yarom for thier generosity in providing us yearly with this wonderful event.

I have missed for two years due to circumstances, but was determined to make it this year, and it was the first time my wife was able to come with me. She was excited and most impressed, now fully understanding the passion that drives us all!

It was good to see everyone in person that I havent seen, sometimes in years. The table presentations were great, and as always enjoyed seeing my 'Highlander' buddy Rick Stroud , Charles, excellent display and thank you for bringing the kaskara....it was incredible to actually handle.

I am always so glad to see Lee, and I was so honored to be able to present the wonderful plaque that Tim Simmons created to be given to him for all he has done for all of us. It was a wonderful idea initiated by Rick, and presented on behalf of all of us. It is more than well deserved, as Lee has always remained the true driving force here, and I think these forums created by him, have developed into a wonderful place to learn together on arms.

I always enjoy seeing Bill Marsh, and his beautiful wife Anne.....always amazed at what incredibly eclectic and fascinating esoterica they find in the massive show. What a wonderfully fun couple!!!

It was exciting to see Phil tom there, as I didnt think he would make it...whenever I see him, despite his outgoing easy going demeanor, I always think of dozens of questions I want to ask....but have too much fun talking with him to get that serious.

Out of nowhere appeared the truly amazing Jimmy Manteris! I never know when or where he will turn up, and one of the kindest, most modest gentlemen I have known in these years of the forums. A true character and always fun to be around.

It was a pleasure meeting Mark and his son, and it was great seeing a fledgling collector under the wing of the Indiana Jones of dhas! I truly admired their closeness as Mark oversaw helping with the progress of the event.

The talk by Davinder on Sikh weapons was amazing! and I think presented wonderful insight into understanding the weapons associated with the Sikh warriors, and how they were also instrumental in thier Faith. I was able to speak with him and a number of the other Sikhs who were also here, admiring thier fascinating presence in representing this proud martial Faith.

I enjoyed Artzi's talk on Oriental eating trousse, and as always am amazed at the esoterica he focuses on, presenting them in incredibly compelling fashion....I had never really been aware of these, but instantly wanted to learn more, and Artzi's calm, easy going presentation, was informative and purely fun!! with his wonderfully casual sense of humor. My wife was of course intrigued, as she collects every kitchen gadget imaginable... so perhaps she will now be looking for these trousse!!!

It was great to meet the very personable Rand finally in person! and finally haved a face to name association. Incredible personality, and great observations on talks!

Finally got to meet LouieBlades!! It was great meeting you Lew, and fun talking at last.
Nice to meet Steve Ferguson...sans beard...so caught of guard....looks way younger in person without beard, even though who can deny the beard does look pretty distinguished.

There was so much activity, the fair was amazing and indescribable with all the weapons and excitement there! Truly, there was no evidence of all the economic gloom here....nothing but pure excitement.
One high point there for me was meeting George C. Neumann, who was the author of "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" (1973). I have used that book since then constantly, and to finally meet him in person was awesome....we talked and reminisced about the 'old' days for a while,,what fun!!

The auction, despite the much discussed conflict, was an incredible hotbed of intensity, and the activity there was unbelievable......as I saw after our event had concluded. Again, I saw many people I hadnt seen in years in the hallways.

A weekend I will never forget, and I just wanted to thank everyone who was there for being there, and those of you who didnt make it this year, I wish you could have been. A true arms and armour worlds fair that remains incomparable !!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote