Thread: Gunong
View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:46 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
Stock removal like this started in tunings in the 1920s I think, but I agree with Ian that this is probably post 1940s. It became very popular by the 1930s as the demand for laminated steel dropped.

Also from that point on metals like nickel/copper alloys (also known as "German Silver") and aluminum became more common place as time went on to replace silver and even silver plate.
That dating seems generous José. With pointy luks like that this seems more likely to be at least post 1960s.
I agree with others that this seems to be fairly well made. It is most probably mono steel rather than laminated. Ian is probably correct that the white metal is white brass, but i would think that coin silver is unlikely. It could be German silver, which we all probably know actually has no silver content at all. Sorry you had a bidding war on this piece. Hope you weren't forced to pay too high a price for it. I like a nice old gunong, but like others, these modern pieces are not my cup of tea either, though it is not an unattractive piece.
David is offline   Reply With Quote