View Single Post
Old 5th February 2023, 07:35 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Joe, you have a remarkably astute eye in examining symbolism and its potential inspirations and representations! While I have been fascinated by these things as long as I can remember, it seems there are always so many possibilities that its really hard to consider which is more viable or likely.

In the cases of the weaponry of these regions, the nature of these representations are not only culturally traditional but deeply religiously oriented. This is probably one of the most daunting aspects in understanding these motifs especially is, like terms and language, variations and interpretation vary, as one noted authority said, 'almost village to village' (of course exaggerated but the point is made).

Probably one of the reasons I have typically been reticent to go into deep study of these weapons is being apprehensive about transgressing into delicate matters in trying to better understand such symbolism, not to mention the deep metaphysical properties inherent.

I like the way you strive to remain objective in speculations, and as Kai importantly suggests, in caution. Absolutely fascinating weapons, well deserving the respect they are afforded.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote