View Single Post
Old 9th July 2007, 04:23 AM   #19
A. G. Maisey

G'day Kai,

An old blade in Jawa?

Depends who you talk to and the context of the conversation.

Can be pre Mataram, pre Mataram SA, pre PB X, pre 1980. Most usual Javanese and seriously accepted is pre Mataram, the later periods are regarded as "new" blades.My own interpretation is pre-WW II, which is probably more relevant to western collecting.

As to value, an old Tuban in old dress and mamas would not be all that pricey, no more so , really, than a decent current era blade in similar dress. But Kinom is costly enough to cause most people to proceed carefully, especially if in very good dress. Don't forget:- the value of a complete keris is the sum of its individual parts. A good Solo pendok can cost more than a pretty fair sort of blade.

Blade appraisal is based on tangguh. To be able to correctly appraise a blade, you do need a good understanding of tangguh --- as well as a lot of other things.

Kai, I'm a little uncomfortable with this talk of values. I feel that we are getting too close to the prohibition of no discussion relating to values. Possibly it may be as well to cease discussion in the open forum of value related things.

regards,

Alan.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote