View Single Post
Old 6th July 2007, 03:03 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

That's OK Alan. I don't see your reply as "fuel for the fire". In fact i believe the point you are trying to make is crucial to the original question of the thread. How do we appraise the value of a keris when different standards and collecting approaches exist not only between East and West (the most obvious), but also within the Indonesian culture frame itself? Ganja talks about the differences between Surakarta and Yogyakarta, but surely standards are even wider apart between, say, Surakarta and Terangganu. Then, of course, there is always a matter of simple personal preferences. Though much of what we like is influenced by our particular cultures there will always be those certain things that appeal on an individual basis.
I personally do not tend towards the general Western mold in my keris collection. I must admit that i do like to look at the "centerfolds", but i ask myself, do i really want one for my wife? To tell the truth i do have a couple in my collection that i got based on looks alone, but most of my collection is made up of older blades, not so much of the "high end" ones of which Alan speaks, but still, in my personal assessment, respectable blades...with "personality". I do understand the general Western desire for glamor and high levels of craftsmanship in their blades, but for me it is not the most important aspect for collection. That the keris "speaks" to me is far more important. Of course, since i rarely get to handle the keris i buy beforehand this can be a bit of a gamble. But i feel i have done remarkable well with this and i'm usual very pleased with my purchases once in hand. I think this could be due in part to the fact that i make most of my purchases from people i know who in turn have a good sense of my own personal tastes.
David is offline   Reply With Quote