View Single Post
Old 6th July 2007, 02:41 AM   #15
A. G. Maisey

My attendances at these shows stopped about 6 or 7 years ago, so I cannot recall in detail exactly what I might have offered at any particular show, however, in broad terms, low end would have been something like a Tuban wengkon in Jogja timoho with mamas, high end would have been Kinom , probably in new Solo wrongko with silver. Both blades would have been in a good state of preservation.

Its not so much a matter of:-

"---beginning collectors are tempted by the more gaudy pieces but not a single collector experienced with old keris in 20 years? ---"

Yes, certainly it is possible to offer quite spectacular keris when working with current era material, and when I do offer this type of thing I have invariably offered the very best that I have been able to obtain, within each specific value range, so there would have been a number of keris on display with very high visual and artistic impact. I believe that most collectors based in the western world will invariably be attracted to a keris with a very high level of craftsmanship, combined with good artistic interpretation.

Right alongside these "Playboy Centrefolds" we have two or three old blades with a slightly subdued finish, smaller, thinner, the workmanship when measured by universal craft standards, almost invariably inferior. A Javanese gentleman with considerable experience in keris would recognise what they were. A western collector , even one with 30 or 40 years of experience in keris, all or most of it obtained in the western world, would only see some rather unremarkable old blades. If that western collector had bothered to ask prices, he would probably have died of a heart attack when he learnt that the thin, old , unremarkable blade with wos wutah pamor in worn dress had a ticket that was multiples of the brave, spectacular blade with brilliantly executed pamor ron duru, complete with Solo ladrang, silver pendok, and gem studded selut.

The western based collector has in general, built his collection on quality craftsmanship, art, and value for money.

The collector in Jawa has in general, built his collection on cultural values which apply within Jawa, but are for the most part not recognised outside Jawa.

One set of standards is not superior to the other, within the societal context where they exist.

David, I recognise your advice as an attempt to prevent a fire before it occurs. I assure you, for my part, I will be adding no fuel to any little flames that may happen to arise. However, in order to answer Kai's question in a manner that would not mislead, I have found it necessary to expand as I have done above.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote