View Single Post
Old 5th July 2007, 04:23 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Rather than get involved in a discussion where no matter what I say, I will be damned for discrimination against somebody, I'll tell you a story.

In days past when we still had gunshows in Sydney, I used to take a table at those shows and try to sell keris, eastern edged weapons, and all sorts of other little bits and pieces. The keris were the centrepiece, and I'd put up a good mix of old and new, low price, high price, rare and common.

I'd present them so that the blade as well as the dress could be seen.

I would always include one or two very good, very expensive old Javanese keris.

Prices were never shown, anybody wishing to buy any keris needed to engage me in conversation.

During more than twenty years of going along to these shows with my bag of keris I never sold one good, old, Javanese keris. Not one.

In fact, during all that time not a single potential buyer was sufficiently attracted to the good, old Javanese keris that I had on offer to even pick one up and enquire the price.

I sold a lot of current era Madura keris with brilliant pattern welded pamor blades.

I sold a lot of keris that had very high visual impact.

I sold a lot of keris that really packed an artistic punch.

I did not sell, or even get one enquiry about the very good quality, old Javanese keris that were on the table.

Western collectors in general, have an entirely different set of standards and requirements to the standards and requirements of Javanese collectors. I am in the very fortunate position where I understand both sets of standards. I can understand the Javanese point of view --- yes Pak Ganja, both Solo and Jogjakarta, as well as East Jawa and Jakarta --- and I also understand the point of view of the bulk of western collectors. I do not regard one set of standards as inferior or superior. Each set of standards is a reflection of the society in which each group of collectors lives. Similarly, I do not regard one society or culture as inferior or superior:- I regard both as equals, and both as flawed in some aspects.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote