View Single Post
Old 12th June 2012, 10:36 PM   #11
kai

Quote:
I'm in favor of not messing with it.
I have no real stake in this since the current caretaker is entitled to make a wise decision. Please allow a few comments though to explain my reasoning:

Quote:
1) From what the pics show the handle and wrap look well done.
Certainly not a traditional grip wrap (i.e. not any Moro style) and I would be surprised if the flared pommel doesn't come in the way when "playing" with the sword.

Quote:
2) There does appear to be some age to the rehilt, yes I know that can be faked
Very possibly vintage. Extra points for an old mistake, anyone?

Quote:
3) More importantly; the rehilit incorporated the ferrule and baca-baca. This means someone understood or at least wanted to preserve what was there. I lean toward someone knew what they were doing as these things have a habit of being removed and sold.
Would have anyone with a passing knowledge of Moro kris pommels come up with this flared pommel including a brass cap?

Quote:
4) It's kinda a unique and someone went through some effort to do it that way which means it may have some history behind it.
Ok, don't toss it but keep it in a drawer (I never throw collection pieces away). IMVHO keeping this combo "as is" is a disgrace to the neat blade though.

Quote:
All that said; nice piece! These are a favorite of mine, so I have fondness for them and like to see them preserved un-altered as much as possible.
I'm with you regarding preserving genuine pieces. I don't see any point in preserving mistakes that most likely have been done outside the originating culture by people with possibly good intentions but obviously very limited knowledge.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote