View Single Post
Old 11th December 2007, 07:00 AM   #16
Boedhi Adhitya

It seems that while we wait for another pictures from Mandaukudi, we shall discuss some ganja's forms. I apologize to Pak Mandaukudi for 'hi-jacking' the thread, temporarily. Is it O.K. ?

Dear Mas Ganja,

First of all, thank you for attaching pages from the famous Mr. Haryono's book, which unfortunately, not translated to English until now.

Dhungkul, I read somewhere, means 'water buffalo's horn', but better to check it in Zoetmulder Dictionary.

According to Mr Guritno's illustrations, Wilud and Dhungkul differ only in the curl. Kelab lintah, on the other hand, has two waves and a curl. If we follow the pattern, then there should be another ganja, with two waves, but without the curl. Should we call it in another name ? As Dhungkul and Wilud differ only in curl, why not?

If we put some more critics on Guritno's book, based on two pages you had posted then here are some :
1. Where is 'ganja wuwung' ? It is a common shape of ganja from side view, which has a straightline silhouette/contour, likes the top of the roof.
2. I'd rather to put Ganja Sepang (I recall Guritno translated Sepang as 'sak pang' (java) means 'in/on the same branch/bough. see dhapur's meaning section) in "Ragam Tampak Atas Bentuk Ganja" (Ganja's shapes from top view), simply define it as 'Ganja sepang= ganja which has no head', that is, both end are tails, whether it has curl or not, waved or not.
3. I'd add another shape in Ganja's shape from top view, namely Ganja Regol=Ganja with two heads, simply the opposite of Ganja Sepang. It belongs to dhapur regol (and yuyurumpung ? if I'm not mistaken) which has two gandiks. Quite rare, but it do exist.
4. Ganja Nguceng Mati (4.15a) : which ones define the Nguceng Mati, the head, the tail or both ? I recall Harsrinuksmo define Nguceng Mati simply as ganja which have pointed end/tail, as the opposite of Ganja Mbuntut Urang=having 'shrimp tail', that is, square or slightly rounded tail.
5. The head of Ganja Nyangkem Kodhok (4.15d) and Nyirah Tekek (4.15e) on the illustrations are too big/exaggerated. Ganja's head directly connected to the size of gandhik, and ganja's belly (gendhok) directly connected to the thickness of the blade on bawang sebungkul part. As gandhik should never thicker than bawang sebungkul, so the head of ganja should never bigger/wider than the belly. Simply an anatomical things. While the ideas regarding the Nyangkem Kodhok and Nyirah Tekek are correct, ones should notice that he/she would be very unlikely to find the proportion of the heads as illustrated in reality.

Please don't take it in the wrong way. Guritno's book is a good book. But we discuss something which naturally 'in dispute' amongs some expert. Guritno had to pick one opinion, or making a synthesis from some opinions. It's hard to satisfy evereyone. And frankly, I don't pay much attention on this disagreement.
Attached Images

Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote