View Single Post
Old 6th October 2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Mytribalworld

Hi Arjan,

Thank you for joining. In the very early days the Hindu’s had colonies on many of the islands in the area; they are even said to have had a colony in China, so there must have been a strong Hindu influence. It is interesting what you write about the connection between the umbrella and the tree of life, as it is the first time I have heard this. I have earlier read about a connection between the tree of life end the kundalini flame, but only in one or two places. The mid rib on katars is sometimes made like a slim tree, mostly said to be cypress, but I have also seen it described like the tree of life.

Where did you find the connection between the umbrella and the tree of life?

Yes I think the ‘eye motif’, was used for protection against ‘the evil eye’.

Jens[/QUOTE]

Hi Jens,

The connection between umbrella and tree of life is often mentioned in " Ngaju Religion- the conception of god among a South Borneo People" by Dr,H.Scharer -The Hague 1963

he writes:-"The umbrella is indentical with the tree of life.Its not only to be found here but plays important role in every transition ceremony ( when passing from one to another status) A baby is carried under an umbrella for its ritual bath in the river,an umbrella is opened above a bridal pair,a skull is placed under an umbrella on the skull rack and also the umbrella palys a very important role at a funeral and at the mortuary ceremony.-" pag 70.

The use of the umbrella is part of a complex mix of symbols used to represent the upperworld and underworld.

Arjan.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote