Thread: SAJEN kerises
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2009, 03:44 AM   #23
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The word "wangkingan" is the respect level of high Javanese (krama inggil) and is not the equivalent of "keris". As it has been explained to me, wangkingan can only be used when we refer to a keris that is being worn, will be worn, or has been worn, as an item of dress, by another person to whom we wish to display respect. It would be incorrect to refer to a non-active keris, or a display keris, or our own keris, or a keris in a lower hierarchical relationship as a "wangkingan".
Dear Alan,
It is amazing that you are able to understand in such level of Javanese language. Of course, I must put my hat off for it... Thank you for the correction.

What i wanted to explain in my previous post is, that the word "duwung' (not dhuwung), wangkingan and yes, curiga, are words for explaining the same object. If you have a complete javanese dictionary -- not only mentioning words in one level -- then you may find such example:

keris (ngoko) = duwung (krama madya) = wangkingan (krama inggil, or krama hinggil).

The same meaning for different usage. In javanese language, there are at least three levels of using the language. "Ngoko" is for ordinary people, or ordinary usage -- including the usage of language by the higher level person, but with the same social level. Then, please use "keris" for this usage. (But usually, they prefer to use the more polite word, "duwung")

Higher level than "ngoko" is "krama madya" (medium level javanese), then you may use "duwung". For instance, if you are a common people, want to speak to a higher level person to wear keris, then please say it "would you wear this 'duwung' please," (in javanese language, of course)

The highest level is "krama inggil", or you may spell it "krama hinggil" (ha, in the javanese caraka script, is the same writing, with "a") for the word keris is "wangkingan". Yes, it would be silly if you are the common people, or people in the street, saying to another person in the street like this:

"hey, look at me, I am wearing a 'wangkingan'....," (of course in javanese language). This will be very silly. Ridiculous.

Javanese language is not easy to learn. Because, everytime you must learn one word in at least in "three stages" or "three level" of usage.

The word of "I" or "me", for instance. In "ngoko" language it is "aku". And if you speak to someone you don't know -- but the same javanese -- then you must use the word "kula" in more polite mode then "aku" for mentioning "me".

But if you speak to someone you honor -- highest level person, then you must use "dalem" or "kawula" for mentioning yourself. And it will be silly if you mention yourself as "aku" if you speak to the highest level person.

But on the contrary, the highest person -- the king for instance -- want to speak to his people, ordinary people, then he may use the word "ingsun" for mentioning the same meaning as "aku".

If the king want to say about "keris" to his people, to the socially lowest ranking, then it would be silly if he use the word "wangkingan". Because he is the highest level person in javanese society, then he may use the word "keris". And I think it is so clumsy too, if the king use the word "wangkingan" to mention keris in front of the audience of common people....

Any way, I must salute you Alan, for the highest level of understanding in javanese language...

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 30th May 2009 at 05:15 AM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote