Thread: Bicol Ginunting
View Single Post
Old 20th October 2021, 05:24 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Aside from Bicol, there are two other places which may have made the pieces you posted- Masbate and Samar. They have been known to make figurals similar to Bicol's (and even have the minasbad blade profile). So there's the possibility that yours may have come from those areas.
Hi Xas,

You were the one who has identified this type of sword as binakla, yes there are slight differences in the handle styles but generally they could get named as inaso, dog or bat style. Blade style is by nearly all examples (this thread and the one I posted) nearly similar. So when one gets called binakla I call a very similar sword as well as binakla, also when it gets called in Masbate or Samar differently. It's a cultural and linguistic related region.
So when a knowledgeable person would say it's very similar but maybe from Masbate or Samar but simply saying it's for sur not Bicol at last is courageous IMVHO. I for my part have described my both swords as binakla from the Bicol region and don't want to change it now but keep in mind that also Masbate and Samar could be a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Yves, I don't think your blade is 100+ years old. The sure 100+ years Bicol blades would be those with D-guards and old-school figurals. If basing on the samples gathered by the minasbad researcher / trader known as The Minasbad Shop, your sample would be around WW2 era.
Agree with you, the reason I've asked Yves before, the scabbard bands from aluminium could be a later replacement but like you I noticed the handle style. But we would need to see better pictures.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 20th October 2021 at 05:39 PM.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote