View Single Post
Old 13th September 2021, 08:02 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Hi Detlef, sorry for having to chime in to correct...it's not the bakunawa. There are actually specific terms for each figural type; while the bakunawa is sometimes represented, the non-reptile looking ones have their own names in the Hiligaynon tongue. I'm not privy to these types, but I believe they are discussed in some recent publications. They are ancestral figurals.
Hi Xas,
Yes, of course you are correct. By closer look it's not the typical bakunawa. Bangkaya has written once: Generally, Ilonggo swords have greater lattitude in their carvings of figural pommels than the other regions of Panay. Some may carve their pommels in a more traditional manner or more abstract interpretation of "bakunawa." And then you have other figural depictions such as a true bakunawa or even other demons and deities of Filipino mythology, which is why I use the term anito.
So it's better described as anito. Here the thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=tenegre

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Not claiming to be a talibong or tenegre expert, but based on my limited experience I'd place that closer to pre-WW2 than 1900.
I was unsure, the pommel look much younger than blade and scabbard. And again, the laminated blade let become me unsure.
But I can live with the first quarter 20th century well.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote