View Single Post
Old 31st December 2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Belgian1

Default My Christmas sword, Mameluk of the Imperial Guard

Hello everyone and all my best wishes for the year 2019 which arrives minute by minute....

This is the last present which I received from Santa Claus on the afternoon of 24 December, I thank Maxime my son , and this pleasant Christmas present has been sold to him for an Middle Eastern origin with rolled up horn handle... Which was not totally wrong, but not quite true either ..... if we can relocate it in the Geopolitics context of (the Middle East area) during the decline of the Ottoman Empire since the Battles of the "French Directoire" to " The Consulat period " and of the 1st Empire with the well known Mamelukes from "Chasseurs à cheval" of the Imperial Guard raised after the Battle of El-Arich in 1799.
Now you begin to know my interest for swords whose identification is more than a challenge to connect it to the history, helped by a reading pleasant time with a glass of Armagnac, more than a simple afternoon on the Internet with a glass of soda to try to find a childish estimation…
So, here is probably a Mameluke officer's sword, from a incorporated Regiment of Mameluke into the Imperial Guard, since 1801 till Waterloo in 1815.
To believe his intriguing European blade of Solingen type for Hungarian Hussars officers, etched "Pro Deo and Patria" and a with ‘’Sacred Heart ‘’, it is possible to consider that this blade was taken after the Battle of Austerlitz, during the fights where the Mamelukes of the Imperial Guard fought against the Russian Empire and the Holy Roman Empire troops , so and also against the Hungarian Hussards.
You undersand, now, why I prefere to read more with a glass of Armagnac near me instead than a Soda, because with Armagnac after some times and some glasses, you can continue to read the history with the closed eyes and ... imagine.
A thing that is certain is that it is a Mameluke officer's sword of the Emperor's army that carries a blade of Hungarian hussars and with or without Armagnac it is a certitude.
What do you think? Except that I do not have to read any more with Armagnac .. or simply that I have to stop Armagnac

Best wishes from Belgium
Fabrice
Attached Images

Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote