View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:37 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Well one thing we may repute as certain; arcuate blades in such manner, wherever its fashion started, had no frontier limits. British had them, Spanish had them, Portuguese had them and, so it seems, the Russians also had a go at it.
Look at the example below; judging by its relative dimensions, its bow must be close from the 20 cms.
However apart from this exponential specimen, parabolic blades must have seen field use. We should not forget that, the blow applied by curved sabres wasn't necessarily the thrust but also the slash in that, the blade would describe a short and rapid semi circle, its arch intensifying the cutting effect; so says Eduardo Nobre in his book "As Armas e os Barões", where he adds that, the blade curvature could be at times so exaggerated that, when the soldier raised his armed arm up to his (left) shoulder, the sabre point would touch his opposite shoulder.

Very well explained, and of course we know curved blades were indeed used in combat situations, extremely much so with the light cavalry which evolved from 'Oriental' styled tactics of Turks, Caucasians, Cossacks, East Europeans etc. The most notable effect of the sabre was the 'draw cut' which as described extended the point of contact in the cut.I am not sure if I am expressing that properly as my understanding of physics and mathematics is pretty dismal.

However, this very extreme example well illustrates the limitations of effectiveness with a curved blade. There seems like little hope for a cut to follow the line of this dramatic curve. It also always amazes me at how these could be effectively put into and withdrawn from the scabbard. Even the similarly curved Ottoman sabre has a slot at the throat to permit these actions.

I am beginning as well to wonder at the use of the mathematical term parabolic to describe these blades, and now I seem to recall I dragged that term out of Burton from one of his descriptions years ago. In looking at the term further and in the graph attached, it does not seem accurate and hope I did not misconstrue its use. It does not seem to be used in other references that I have seen.

Turning to the scabbard question, again with officers it would seem to have been a matter of preference. Obviously the rank and file had iron scabbards (but earlier lined with wood) which they finally realized horribly dulled the blades.

I suppose that concerning military 'fashion' it is well to consider just how nonsensical the uniforms were, with the Napoleonic era being a good illustration. The tall and uncomfortable shakos, especially the bearskin one of the Scots Greys, which they complained were full of lice. The colorful uniforms, while brillant in pageantry but terribly impractical.
Given all of this, certainly there may have been instances of officers taking all manner of their chosen weaponry, and perhaps included such sabres as these examples.

With the artwork which depicts these often famed battles, the element of artistic license is always looming and contested. Many depictions were done in a range of time after the events, using accounts taken from those present. A good example is the beautiful painting by Lady Butler of the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo, "Scotland Forever". This stirring and wonderful depiction (one of my favorites) however, is considerably away from what really occurred there that day.

In other instances, with British swords there were paintings made of the uniforms of the units which of course included the hangers worn by the infantry. The types worn had been in use for some time, but because of the dates of the paintings the hangers became known as 'patterns' of the respective years.

Basically we cannot say broadly whether or not these unusual and often dramatic sabres were actually used in combat and in what degree. We cannot say unequivocably whether leather or metal scabbards were used in accord with dress or battle, as in many cases battle was obviously a 'dress up' occasion.

The use of multiple weapons in combat did not include variations of the same arm for different purposes, particularly the sword. While in earlier times of course there was the estoc or tuck (a larger thrusting sword) worn under the saddle for dismounted combat, while the sabre was for mounted use, and war hammer, bow and arrows etc. (Rembrandt's "Polish Rider).....such a panapoly of arms was not used in military forces of the times we discuss.

Many officers did not consider the 'business of fighting' their place, and simply regarded their duty was to direct their troops, and in that regard the sword became a device of signal and direction. Though movies often portray officers as waving their sabres as they lead into battle, that was not always the case. Obviously many did, and those we chose to serve as exemplars.
In such cases of 'directing' officers, clearly a handsome and notable sword would be well placed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 23rd December 2018 at 05:48 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote