View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2018, 02:25 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These really are intriguing swords, and the character of these often dramatically curved blades (parabolic +++!) is really puzzling. It does seem, as shown in previous discussions, that the actual purpose for these curious curves is still really undetermined.
As mentioned, the clipped point (or false edge) does serve in a thrust, but even with my limited understanding of physics, the curve of the blade would defy the direction of force needed to penetrate (I would think).

In these times of often flamboyant and dramatic military fashion, is it possible that such exaggeration was the case, officers wearing these wildly curved sabres to look 'exotic'? There were numerous other cases of such exaggeration, such as the scabbard worn low slung so it dragged and scraped as the dismounted trooper walked (why the element at the tip of the scabbard is called the 'drag'). Such 'effects' were to impress, perhaps in the fashion of a cowboy and the 'chink' of his spurs.

Just more thoughts on the possible reasons for these blades. While I know these various flank company curved swords were typically for officers, who were mounted...…..I have one which seems rather pedestrian for an officer....unless it is a 'fighting' example used by one.

Admittedly a lousy picture but taken years ago. This has a pipeback and sharp tip, which makes me think of thrusting. It is possible to 'give point' as often used by French cavalry from high tierce position, thrust downward, but as Will says.....difficult.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote