View Single Post
Old 16th September 2015, 01:00 AM   #25
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hi folks.

Since my name was used (CharlesS) and I have been watching this excellent thread, I'll give my thoughts:

The semi-circular motifs, okir vines, etc. are very old and I have seen them in documented and provenanced things, including bladed weaponry. That being said, I agree with Ian in that drac2k's example of silver work is very recent. Here are some of the reasons I suggest this:

1.The mounts look to me (based on the pictures) to be nickel silver (nickel/copper content without any silver), or at most, a form of silver/copper alloy lower than coin silver (- 80%). I can tell by the color and patina.

2. The metal used for these mounts appear very thick. High grade silver is expensive and thus would be thinner. You see earlier pieces with this kind of thinner silver.

3. As work goes, the work on the bands appear very flat. I am used to seeing on older documented and provenanced pieces a more 3D effect that occurs with chasing/stamping work done on thinner silver, which gives more than thicker nickel silver.

4. The style of the work done is not as tight nor detailed as that of earlier work, like that of the turn of the 20th century and earlier. Earlier Maranao and Maguindanao okir silver work is more detailed and leaves less open spaces and untouched areas. Thus earlier work seems to be more complex, full, and tight. I have noticed later work from Marawi City (where most of the work now originates) seems simpler and more open.

These observations apply to gold and gold plate as well.

Also I have been studying these forms for years so that I can replicate them in the old styles to match old pieces.

I hope this helps.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote