View Single Post
Old 15th September 2015, 03:47 PM   #21
David
Keris forum moderator

Ian, i would not necessarily argue with you that the silver rings on Drac's hilt are a more recent addition, however, i will question whether the semicircular marks, sinuous vines, etc., and scalloped edges to the bands are only something to be found post 1970s on Moro weapons. Of course, i can't speak for this kris beyond 1980 when i purchased it, but i pulled it out of an old antique mall in a barn in New Hampshire where it had obviously been languishing for quite some time. The silverwork is of a higher quality than the examples shown here and i believe that quality of the silver itself is higher as well. The asang-asang is suassa. The cording was gone and the red stuff was something i added at the time (this was my first and i was completely ignorant of what type of cording to use and never got around to changing it) and whatever was attached to the pommel was long gone.
While i'm not sure i can immediately find another kris as an example these two gunongs that are certainly from around 1900 also use semicircular marks and scalloped edges, so it is clearly a design element that was found in Moro weapons long before 1970.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote