View Single Post
Old 9th June 2017, 02:07 PM   #18
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
To my mind there is not the smallest doubt that the overall form of rectangular scabbard upper section is originally Javanese, there is ample monumental evidence for this. However, with that form as a starting point, various interpretations occurred in other places.
Yes, this is certainly correct considering the early evidence from stone carvings; the same seems to hold for this type of selut, too. IMHO the same can be reasonably assumed for the hilt type (no extant examples in early stone carving; several examples in early European collections which seem to originate from Jawa rather than Sulawesi though). Thus, I am also considering whether this scabbard might be a Jawa import rather than a genuine Sulawesi development? This might even include iconic parts like the toli toli - just playing devil's advocate here!

OTOH, Achim Weihrauch points to the coarse rattan binding at the scabbard stem of Sulawesi swords which resembles what we see in these keris scabbards which may suggest a local development.

Quote:
I am familiar with Achim Weihrauch's thesis, but I cannot read it. All the material in the photos I am very familiar with, and judging by the length of this thesis it should be a very worthwhile contribution to keris literature.
I'd second that it would be great if a (preferably updated/extended) English version were to be published...

Quote:
I feel I owe an explanation for my disinterest in keris from outside the core areas. At one time in my life I was very interested in keris from everywhere, I made no distinction between Javanese, Balinese, Peninsula or any other keris. Every keris --- even those things from the Philippines -- drew my interest. I was primarily a collector. As I learnt more, and very particularly, as I adopted a Javanese set of standards I realised that all keris are not equal, nor do they enshrine the same essence. As cultural artifacts all keris are probably worthy of the same attention, but one lifetime is insufficient time to give all keris the same degree of attention.
Yes, I do understand your priorities here.

I hoped the blades - which appear to be invariably of Jawa extraction - would pretty much fall within your scope though. Based on the better quality pics in the thesis would you be prepared to comment on the origin of this keris blade?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote