View Single Post
Old 9th September 2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
So. now I would like to pose this question:-

was the keris of Majapahit a single form of keris, one that we would now identify as a Modern Keris?

Ma Huan gives us arguably our best summarised picture of Jawa circa 1400, it is found in the Ying Yai Sheng Lan:-

http://faculty.washington.edu/qing/h...lan%5B1%5D.pdf

I suggest a reading of the Java segment of this document, for those who are not already familiar with it. Java is "Chao-Wa"
Hello Alan,
Thank you for giving us access to this very interesting and often referred paper from Ma Huan.
However it seems that he only visited the Majapahit ports (Tuban, Gresik and Surabaya) but was not in contact with the Hindu Majapahit court, and the Kings whom he refers to were probably just the local Governors. The small knives which he describes (pu-la-t'ou or beladau?) worn even by the kids may not be krisses at all, like the Acehnese used to wear the rencong besides the kris? I agree with Rasdan that the big wavy krisses may just have been worn by high ranking people and not commoners, and were possibly introduced after Ma Huan's visit?
The description of the indigenous Hindu people by Ma Huan is particularly negative and not in accordance with the high Majapahit civilization!
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 9th September 2015 at 03:00 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote