View Single Post
Old 1st December 2010, 02:51 AM   #23
Gavin Nugent

Default We all have opinions

Hi Yanni,

As you can see there are many opinions on directions one can go, the choice is always yours and thus far the job you have done is a great job getting it to the condition that you have...
My thoughts are in line with others in being that the restoration on this should be limited. My thoughts are as follows;

1/Clean properly the inside of the scabbard housing
2/Rebind the scabbard pieces in rattan (There has been a good discussion about this recently and a big thanks to Steve for his photography binding steps in an old post being bought back to life). Oil the scabbard too, again, many choices of oil here.
3/The patterns in the steel can be bought out with chemicals or with the fine cleanings you are giving it, though chemicals are instant and more dramatic but neutralise neutralise neutralise.
4/The inlay, your call, but be sure to ensure all cut outs in the blade are perfectly cleaned if this is to be done. I wouldn't be too worried about any colour differences, a very light 0000 steel wool application will have it all shining should you venture down this road.
5/Leave the binding on the hilt as it is, it is ethnographically important.
6/Right or wrong I'd run with an small ivory pommel and have it intensely aged.

My opinion in most restorations bar a few is that the road with least resistance is always of preference and I wouldn't be too bothered with doing points 3 or 4 unless you really want to as a personal choice.
I currently have a pair of 18th century Jian with a master restorer. As the blades need straightening and a proper polish I am going to loose some inlay in a small rusted area that I want polished out. This I am asking to be re-chiseled and the gold replaced. An expensive exercise for me but my choice...just wishing to indicate anything can be done should you wish.
Regardless, enjoy the piece you have, it is nice even in its current condition.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 1st December 2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote