View Single Post
Old 1st December 2010, 02:09 AM   #22
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I agree that it might look nice to restore the silver to the inlay of the blade. Here we have a case where there is just no question, the silver was once there and it would seem absolutely correct to replace it.
With the hilt we have a completely different case though. Yes, this is probably not the origin hilt. But you would need to make a number of assumption and outright guess if indeed you were to decide to "return" it to it's original splendor and at the same time you would be destroying the history of the kris itself.
From what i can see it does indeed look like the sheath once had metal bands and given the blade they may well have been silver. So if you wanted to go that route it might look OK. But it does seem to have one rattan band at the bottom and so it might look better as an ensemble piece to simply add a couple more rattan bands. Since rattan was the way this kris was maintained when last in service it seems most appropriate to restore with rattan. Try giving the wood a good cleaning/oiling and it should look pretty nice.
My concern would be that the replacement silver would not match the original inlay.

Sterling ?

Not likely; the resulting patinas may well not match ...

As for the scabbard bands; if there is one rattan one extant I'd suggest adding another one or 2 of the same type .

This piece absolutely reeks of desperation and defiance to the last breath .
That is the story I read from this ensemble .

Here is an original wrap .

Overactive imagination ?

Maybe .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote