View Single Post
Old 30th July 2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Randal

Default Help needed with makers mark on tulwar

If anyone can help identify this maker's mark, it would be much appreciated. It's on the tang of a large double fullered tulwar blade that was without its grip or any scabbard. It's not mine and I don't have access to it atm for measurements or more pictures, unfortunately. Speculation at the time was that it could be a European blade exported to India, perhaps fairly early and perhaps from Italy. I have previously posted this to a Facebook group and it was suggested there that the mark was for a George Wundes of Solingen, pre-1800, but the commenter hasn't responded to requests for clarification. He mentioned his identification was from "the Bezdek book", which I assume is German Swords And Sword Makers. Unfortunately I don't have a copy and can't sadly justify the £100 plus it would cost to buy it just for curiosity. However I looked around online and eventually found pictures of the pages covering makers marks for Wundes in alphabetical order, but it went straight from Cornelius to Johannes, so I'm no further forward.
http://atkinson-swords.com/marks-and...ual-chief.html
The sword owner found this page with images of C16th-C18th Spanish armourers' marks from a C19th list, in which number 13 is strikingly similar, in structure at least. That list gives the armourer as Anton Ruy, also Antonio Ruiz, of Toledo and Madrid.
I suspect there will be people on this forum who will know a lot about this topic, so any assistance will be very gratefully received.
Attached Images

Randal is offline   Reply With Quote