Thread: TBOLI KAMPILAN
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020, 12:56 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
Hi Craig,

Was able to get more info regarding this blade. The latest previous owner (from which I bought the kampilan) was the 4th person to have owned the piece. Lets identify him as # 4. Was able to call and talk to the seller who sold him the blade (#3) and I was informed that the blade came from his father (#2) who was a soldier fighting the Japanese in WW2. The It was a heirloom piece that came from his (#2) father (#1) who was once a Datu of the T'boli tribe in South Cotabato.

The blade, however, was originally owned by a more older person than #1, also a Datu and the father of #1.

The blade originally came from the T'boli tribe (Lake Sebu area).
Excellent provenance! Seldom does one know these details. As the fifth or sixth owner of this piece, you have its entire history. It would seem that the sword was likely made in the late 19th C or early part of the 20th C. Given its heirloom status, one wonders why #3 would sell it. I know people need money, but it seems this was an important family heirloom and had been preserved in the family for four generations. At least it wasn't put up on eBay!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote