View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 08:01 PM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaruz
I've recently acquired this piece. It is a bolo kampilan from a lumad tribe in Mindanao. There's no handle; the blade was rusted and some issues on the scabbard.

But it is an old piece and I would like to have it restored.

1) is this a Bagobo bolo? without the handle, my only reference would be the scabbard's style (which is somewhat similar to a Bagobo bolo I have) and the cloth (scabbard's mouth).
Hello Yves,
I would say yes, it's a Bagobo bolo/kampilan. See attached pictures taken from other threads, not my ones.

Quote:
2) issues: I soaked it overnight on white vinegar and in the morning, most of the rust just melted away- except for some areas on the blade (blackened areas) I was trying to distinguish if these spots are pitted areas, and yes, there's little pitting. But why is it the rust won't go away? what's best to remove this? would sanding help?
It simple need a longer soak, there you will have later pitting I guess. When you sand it you will need to sand the complete blade, a time consuming undertaking, most of the time worth the effort.

Quote:
3) what handle design would fit this lovely piece have when it was pristine?
Look again to the attached pictures, there will be other examples in older threads. But most Bagobo swords I've seen with such a scabbard have had handles like the shown examples.

Quote:
4) I have noticed that the tang is a bit short?
Indeed! But can't say something about this, never before I've seen a Bagobo sword without handle. Look the tang broken? A close-up?

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote