View Single Post
Old 15th September 2009, 01:37 AM   #13
Jeff Pringle

Bonham’s auctioned off one of Anosov’s blades in Nov. ’08 ($72K), he gave it to a famous geologist…I saved these two photos but if someone has the catalog there might be a better view.
Also, hopefully the article cited below would have some images – available through Springerlink if someone has the subscription fee…
Theoretically there should be some diagnostic differences between Sham wootz and shear steel due to the different manufacturing techniques, I’ll see what I can come up with on that front.

Structure of three Zlatoust bulats (Damascus-steel blades)
Schastlivtsev, V. M.; Gerasimov, V. Yu.; Rodionov, D. P.
The Physics of Metals and Metallography, Volume 106, Issue 2, pp.179-185
Chemical composition, structure, and hardness of samples of three Zlatoust bulats (Damascus steels), namely, an Anosov bulat blade (1841), Obukhov bulat blade (1859), and a Shvetsov forged bulat-steel blank (crucible steel) have been investigated. The Anosov bulat possesses all signs of the classical Damascus steel; this is a hypereutectoid carbon steel with a structure formed from chains of carbides against the background of fine pearlite (troostite). A banded pattern is revealed on the surface of the blade. The Obukhov blade cannot be referred to classical Damascus steel. The pattern on the surface of the blade is absent, despite the fact that the initial steel is hypereutectoid. The structure of the blade does not correspond to the structure of classical Damascus steel; this is bainite with numerous cementite particles. The Shvetsov sample cannot be regarded as Damascus steel since it is made from a hypereutectoid steel alloyed by managanese and tungsten. The pattern on the surface of the metal is a consequence of the dendritic structure of the ingot which is developed during forging. The structure of this pattern differs from classical damascene pattern, since the latter is formed due to a specific arrangement of a variety of carbide particles against the pearlitic or some other background obtained during heat treatment.
Attached Images

Jeff Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote