View Single Post
Old 20th August 2011, 09:13 PM   #18
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Hi David,

While traveling through the modern Pacific is a great deal easier than it was 1000 years ago, I think we under-rate both Polynesian boats and sailing skills. Even finding unknown islands isn't a blind shot: when you see land birds take off into the open ocean, you know they're heading for other land somewhere. That's how the existence of New Zealand (and Hawaii) was inferred.

Best,

F
Hi Fearn,
I suppose I should have said 'relatively' small canoes ....travelling long distances the canoe occupants would need plenty of water and food. Also, tools and weapons to support them once they made land. These provisions would soon fill a canoe. Obviously navagation skills are extremely useful when you have a destination. The earlier 'trailblazers' did not have this luxury or the definate knowledge that they would find land.
I agree that in general following 'land' birds might lead you to land ....but it is far from fail safe. Some birds have been known to stay on the wing for considerable distances. The non-stop migratory flight of the goodwit is over 6000 miles....much over water. Admittedly they are waders ...but are from the oceanic area.
Rapa Nui is indeed interesting from a number of view-points ....including the ecological disaster they created for themselves ....but we are digressing from the original post, sorry.

Regards David

"...The routes of satellite tagged Bar-tailed Godwits migrating north from New Zealand. This species has the longest known non-stop migration of any species, up to 10,200 km (6,300 mi)........."
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote