View Single Post
Old 21st January 2006, 12:50 PM   #22
Spunjer

Quote:
...... and is likely due to the influence in the different areas.
i'm with you that these hilt creatures are prolly regional by design, but why pick the bakunawa as a theme? the visayans (well, pilipinos in general) are very superstitious. here's a list of our mythological creatures (from what its given, it seems like these are just mostly luzon area creatures. there's a lot from the visayan region that aren't mentioned here based on what i hear from the elders growing up, i.e. the infamous tiktik, lol):

http://www.viloria.com/secondthought.../00000847.html

my point is, could it be possible that these so called 'diety' hilts are representations of different creatures and not just the bakunawa? you mentioned the bearded dragon, and that i can see as a representation of the bakunawa. what i'm having a hard time understanding is, most of these sundangs that has the 'diety' hilts came mostly from Panay and to an extent, Negros area. in regards to the bakunawa legend (heck, even the term 'bakunawa'), it's probably big among the cebuanos( the reason i say probably is because i'm not too familiar with the cebuano culture), but certainly not among the ilonggos (majority of the people from panay). so then, why the bakunawa as a general theme??? it might seem like i'm nitpicking here, but think maguindanao/maranao, or tausug/yakan. these tribes are closer to each other in regards to geographical location compared to the cebuanos/ilonggos, and yet you will notice that there's an ovbious difference among their styles (mindanao tribes).

look, i'm no expert at this; just a curious noobie that has lots and lots of questions...

btw, nice sanduko, BSMStar. mind posting a centerfold shot?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote