View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2007, 02:12 AM   #9
rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Rand

My first thaught is thanking you for having posted these pictures ... your piece is superb.
However you should perhaps consider that the Persian calendar is not the usual Islamic-Hijriah one, and in such case the year 1235 corresponds to Christian 1856-1857 .
This would explain the imported British bar lock, or why not a good local copy , fitted in the musket at the period or even at a later stage. This would explain the different decoration, again why not a local work ? Note the same efects on the steel wedge welded onto the barrel.
Continuing with the fantasy, assuming these Musketeer Corps were some kind of elite troops, timely percussion conversions would be plausible.
It's quite a previlege to have all those wonderfull inscriptions translated ... Manouchehr is rather an available person.
Thanks again for sharing the pictures with me and other interested members. Although the smashing majority of the Forum members are fans of edged weapons, we are not exactly alone
fernando
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the firearm. Regarding the date have have it reviewed by two Persians for translation and they both were in agreement on the 1821 date. In fact the possibility of 1856-1857 was never suggested, but I did like that you pointed out that as a possibility. So is certain we can rely on the 1821 dating, everythng else about the weapon ties in with that dating also.

Have had European 19th century firearm collectors at the Vegas Show examine this this to get their opinion. Had attended this show primarily for that purpose. Had thought it would be a fairly easy thing for them to do, I was wrong in that assumption. The feedback was that the lock either Austrian or Spanish, similar to locks were used on game rifles and of a high quality.

Not sure what you mean by the steel wedge on the barrel, you may be looking at two photos where the barrel is shown in closeup next to the stock.

So far I have no information on the musketeers, or what that phrase means but I would like to find out. There has been a proposed metaphor of the writing on the barrel that I am trying to collaborate regarding ownership.

When I first saw musketeer the Ottoman Jannisaries came to mind, but am not familiar with any Persian equilalant. Also this seems more a sporting rifle with great range and very heavy too........

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote