View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:08 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1
Many thanks RobertGuy for your pertinent comment. Yes indeed I had already hear about this explanation over a possible "fashion influence". But yet, this type of sword has been worn in battle and I have doubts about its sole function to influence the ladies. This would have been a dangerous suicidal fashion, a kind of "song of the swan ...". I think, rather, that this style of saber was intended to show his membership of an elite fighting troop and to be identified directly and thus get the laurels and merits of the unit with of course, the best intentions of the young ladies. But above all, it would be an object of "social" distinction, before the regulation, at the time when the officers of certain combat units could assert their whims with this type of fantasy. Like the swords of the officers of the "60th Foot" who had, by caprice, asked and obtained the autorization to have , an gilded brass D shape guard on their Pattern 1796 or the entier gilded brass handle and scabbard of the "Duke of Cumberland's Sharpshooters Rifle Unit". It also said, that this type of strongly curved blade are a variant of an ephemeral Pattern 1799....
But this topic deserves to be the subject of historical research because I believe that we are not the only ones to want to find a "official military" answer of historical source

I agree 100% Belgian, like most unusual topics of this kind, more stringent research is definitely warranted. Officers were very well known for whimsical notions in their fashion in these times......even the storied 'Beau Brummel' (the quintessant fashion prince) was in a military unit. ...but not sure of his impact on the fashions.

It does seem that officers, who were of course typically from gentry and higher echelon station, indeed had great latitude in the swords they would commission. I am not sure if these elaborate or unusual types would have been worn into battle......it seems most officers had a selection of swords which included 'undress' and fighting examples which went on campaign.

The M1796 infantry officers dress sword, which had a hilt very much like that of a smallsword, bilobate guard, and was much hated by officers who took them on campaign in the Peninsula. The note on the M1803 intended to standardize the blades more reasonably for flank company officers is also interesting.

While a curved sabre is of course dynamically suited for slashing cuts off a mount or in movement.......it would not necessarily be so (I would think) dismounted and in melee or close combat. These incredibly curved blades would be totally awkward in such conditions it would seem.

Are we certain of these used in combat?
Interesting note on the 'ephemeral' 'pattern' (?) 1799 , I have not heard of this, can we know more?

A note regarding long and deeply curved blades and actual use, in America just before War of 1812....the Virginia Manufactory of Arms produced a number of very long and deeply curved blades. These were so cumbersome that troops rejected them. They were placed in storage and prior to Civil War these had blades shortened, rescabbarded for issue.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote