View Single Post
Old 29th August 2014, 08:57 PM   #17
Robert
EAAF Staff

I agree that the hilt is more than likely original to the blade. What I am waiting to hear is whether the blade fits the scabbard correctly. It might not prove that it is the original scabbard, but will at least show that it was more than likely made for this piece. One thing brought up was that this having a horn hilt was unusual, I have never noticed horn hilts to be unusual on talibong though more with wooden hilts seem to be available, but that looks to be the norm on most Philippine pieces. The carving on the hilt does seem to have more of an Indonesian look to it as Ian has already pointed out. The face reminds me of some of the tenegre hilts that I have seen only narrower and that could possibly be due to nothing more than the person who did the carving adding it after the hilt had originally been carved in a more traditional style. We will know more about it after it has arrived and Detlef has had a chance to clean, inspect and post clear and detailed photos that will help in its identification.

Best,
Robert

P.S. It is still my favorite of the group.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote