View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 02:08 PM   #40
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Okay, to sum up, I would like to raise a premise here. Was there any possibility someone finding a small meteorite during his meditation in the mountain? Then, he gave that meteorite to Empu for his commisoned keris.
Of course such a thing is possible and may very well have happened...but one should also keep in mind that not every piece of rock that falls from the sky would be the type of iron/nickel meteorite needed to make the proper pamor material. In fact, most meteorites would be useless for the process. Still, perhaps someone found a small piece of the right stuff and had a powerful keris made with it. Where did the next piece come from....and the next? Because if it is true that only meteorite can create a powerful keris with spirit one has to wonder where all that meteorite came from, enough to make enough powerful, spirit filled keris that it became the only way to make a spirit-filled keris. Certainly people would have me believe that while every keris is not a "powerful" keris there are enough of them out there to sustain the myth. If not powerful then at least ones that hold spirit. So where did the meteorite come from for all those kraton keris pusaka made before the Prambanan fall. For just those keris alone that's a lot of a fairly rare material to come up with from meditating on a hill top. Were any spirit-filled keris made outside the kraton? It's even a lot of material if you include trading, even if it is a material the Chinese or some other culture would be willing to trade. I am not saying that it is not possible that it happened. But i would love to find just one grain of evidence. Some old Chinese trade records perhaps. Some old Javanese writings that mention the use of meteorite in pre-Prambanan keris. AFAIK no such records exist.
Please forgive me if i sound a little frustrated when discussing this subject. It is just that we have been around and round on the meteorite issue many times before with very little resolution. I highly recommend that the new members here take the time to use the search feature for both this and the old forum to see where we have already been on this subject. Try "meteorite keris" as your keywords.
David is offline   Reply With Quote