View Single Post
Old 19th May 2022, 12:09 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Athanase.

So, 36cm = +/- 14.25 inches.

After I asked my question I scaled it from your photos and came up with +/- 15"

This keris, blade only, is not of Balinese origin, it was made in Jawa, probably East Jawa, but it has obviously been in Bali for a long time, as the blade finish is what we expect to see on a Balinese keris.

Even without knowing the length, my first impression was that I was looking at a Javanese keris. We seldom meet with Balinese keris that have a Kebo form, and even though the greneng on this keris does show erosion, it seems to be clear that the original style of the rondha was a Javanese rather than a Balinese form.

In fact, many Balinese keris that are regarded as pusaka keris originated in Jawa. I have one such keris, which was a family pusaka, it is quite small, only about 12.5" long, and singo barong, material is classifiable as Majapahit, and the hilt is very old ivory bhuta, the wrongko first half 19th century or earlier.

The wrongko & hilt of your keris look to be at least pre-WWII, but the uwer is a much more recent production, I believe that you will find the "stones" to be plastic.

I would not fiddle too much with this keris, a bit of TLC for the wrongko & hilt, good quality furniture wax or oil, replace the uwer, give the blade a good wash with dishwash detergent and hot water, dry thoroughly, drench with WD40 and allow to dry before painting with fragrant oil, that's it.

The hilt being stuck is a bit of a problem, I'm not going to recommend anything here. There are a number of things that I would try if it were mine, but I cannot transfer my experience to you. The first, obvious thing is the old heat fix, this keris might not have a glued on hilt, rather, it might be rusted on, and if the tang gets broken taking the hilt off it can be a bit of a pain to remedy that situation.

To my way of thinking this is a keris that is a definite keeper.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote