View Single Post
Old 11th October 2016, 07:29 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Iain! That is excellent insight, and agree that the Darfur scabbards seem invariably to have that flare. I always think of Burton (1884, p.165) and the line drawing and text of the 'Danakil' sword, which is clearly a kaskara. Here here illustrates the sword tip sectioned away from the hilt, with a flared blade tip. He notes in the text as well that the blade of the 'Danakil' sword widens at the tip.
This is presumably an assumption on his part based on superficially observing kaskara in scabbard, which had a flared tip. The Danakil were situated in Ethiopian areas north of Somalia, thus beyond Sudan in sense and of course further from Darfur.

The note on Meroe and some ancient tradition were recalled from some study on this topic many years back and from a Sudanese archaeologist who held that theory on the 'flare'. I do not have the notes at this time but it was suggested that a sword in an early iconographic source of a king of Meroe with sword and scabbard with that feature. As always, this depiction may have been artistic license or any number of factors, but it was worth noting,

As you know, I very much have admired the anthropological work you have done on the tribal and cultural aspects of these regions which have added full dimension to our understanding of these weapons. Very well made point on the directional aspects of these trade routes, and interesting to view possible diffusions accordingly. I do believe however that materials et al, could well have exchanged in the centers in these routes, and followed other routes which are shown moving laterally.

On the other thread with same basic topic on the west African swords, it does seem the cuboid pommel of the Omani swords becomes present on a good number of varying types as the one with roundels on hilt . Here again I wonder if that influence might have been brought in to these areas from the Omani weapons, from those traders eastward.

We know that there no restrictions to how things moved on trade caravan routes, unless for tribal territorial issues/warfare or colonial intervention in the 19th c.

I noticed on some examples of the Mandinka sabres, the flared scabbard is demonstrably larger and more exaggerated. Might this be a case of such embellishment having to do with status etc. as with the takoubas with enormously wide blades?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote