View Single Post
Old 25th August 2017, 05:19 PM   #15
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
Here's a link to the possible problems resulting from use of wax, and the difficulty of removing same, in a museum environment.

Spoiler alert: I was taken aback by the curator's having to resort to using boiling xylene to effect removal.

Before I read the article, I had used Renaissance Wax on a keris blade that would benefit from treatment to restore pamor. Now I fear that it may not be possible. Fortunately I am a successful, even talented, procrastinator, so it's likely I'd never have made the attempt anyway.

Link:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/jaic...35-01-001.html
I think it's advisable to treat only that which needs treating. If it doesn't need treating I would avoid treating it. So I would not apply Renaissance Wax on everything simply for the sake of it. But if something looks like it would rust then I would treat it. Also if something wood or leather looked in danger of drying out then I would consider treating it. Obviously if you have a temperature and humidity controlled storage space there is no need to treat the objects just for the sake of it. Any time you take action to treat some material you run the risk of damaging or ruining it. So I would as a rule leave it alone unless there is some problem.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote