View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 06:18 PM   #26
dennee

Good, point, sirupate. Since the occupation of Tibet by Chinese troops, many Tibetans fled to Nepal. Before the twentieth century, Tibetan peoples were more concentrated in the north.

I didn't get into this discussion because of a special interest in khuda, but because of the characterization of a type of khuda as Tibetan. I'd sure like to know all about Tibetan weapons, so if the khuda is Tibetan or there is a Tibetan offshoot, I'd like to know. Hopefully, more information is forthcoming from our membership (and I'd like to hear discussion about the blade shapes in the photos), and I'm willing to keep my mind open enough to accept evidence that contradicts what I currently think. But the few examples I see in photos from the 1940s are not much more compelling as evidence of a Tibetan origin than is the fact that I have one hanging on my wall evidence of an eastern U.S. origin.

It is a general characteristic of traditional Tibetan blades longer than several inches that they are constructed of laminated steel. If we found khuda of laminated steel, for instance (as there are kukhri blades of laminated steel), we might have something as to the origin of the blade steel at least, if not necessarily its shape and its use, as the ultimate shape of a blade can be determined by the end users.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote