View Single Post
Old 7th October 2009, 10:33 PM   #11
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
I find the subject most interesting, but please tell me, how many of you have tried to investigate it, and if, what results have you reached?
A forum like this, is a place where you can ask questions about a weapons, but it is also a place where you can answer question from others, and this question has been up several times - so there must have been enough time for several to make a research - what is the result of the research?
I don't want to sound rude, but I think it is time for some to start answering questions, an not only to ask them - to research.
Jens
Ive found & shared much information on kukri & other subjects over the years on this & other forums Jen that I have researched, but I too would like to know the true origin of crescent & eyelash marks we find.

Personaly I have no idea of the true origin in Europe or wherever of such marks but would would not be shocked to find some ancient celtic,viking or even older swords carried similar marks even if we know of no current examples. But that is just supposition & speculation on my part, of course.

I can tell you my research & questianing has led me to belive that the Eyelash & crescent marks found on kukri are probably just another facet of the fact that that all Hindu weapons have religious symbols or symolism whether obvious or not, to conteract the less healthy spirits that can be attracted to weapons that have been involved in violence,death or bloodshed, Such symbols as Buddhas or Durgas eye on Ram Dao, the Lotus on kora The kaudi on the kukri are other examples of this.

Whatever its original origins I suspect that is what it comes to mean on Hindu weaponary. Perhaps this is because some excelent blades were seen historicaly so the marks were taken as auspicios?

With kukri many of these marks have been called "armoury marks" But I think that although the individual design, the nature & how of the the mark is made can sometimes show, which workshop, armoury or even villige kami made it. But personaly I essentialy belive that to be just coincedence.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote