View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Kronckew, you are a true gentleman, and I know with your knowledge on these guns that you were withholding out of genuine courtesy. I felt the same way when I looked at this, and I always feel badly when one of our own ends up with one of these kinds of deals.

With only a 'working knowledge' on firearms I very much appreciate the detail you have added to benefit all on recognizing the particulars on these.
Excellent assessments by Tony also, and clearly Fernando joined in our suspicions. It sounds like the auction caption was actually accurate, but as always terminology can be a slippery slope at times.

The Danish pistol in itself is a 'conquest' as these seem kind of hard to find in my view, as are most Danish arms.

I think one telling thing that was a major red flag to me was the lionhead butt cap. These guns are presumably representative of the East India Co. pistols which seem to usually have the rampant lion on the lock, and the butt plate is flat brass. Ive never seen a lionhead butt plate on a military pistol.
From a purely ethnographic point of view, this is an interesting example of one of the products of this intriguing area Khyber region as these arms making traditions have been practiced there for centuries. That to me makes this sort of fascinating inherently so lesson learned, and good item to have as an example.
H.B. ,
Trust me, in my years of collecting some of my 'misteakes' were far, far less interesting so the sting was much worse. Your reasoning was sound and well played though in the acquisition.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote