View Single Post
Old 5th January 2013, 08:07 AM   #30
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Since the original subject of this thread has now well and truely been hijacked, and we now appear to be discussing an entirely different subject I might as well "join the party".
If one bothers to PROPERLY read the linked thread about the Ethiopian bladed Saif, it clearly states that the blade is marked with the letters M K.
A little research reveals that these stand for M.KEVORKOFF & CO who were importers based in Harrar, Ethiopia. Absolutely nothing to do with Luckhouse & Gunter...... (actual spelling is LUCKHAUS & GUNTHER)
Blades for Ethiopia were made in their thousands by Solingen makers but also Wilkinson of London and exported unmounted.
It is reasonable to assume that many of these found their way into the hands of various Tribes and were mounted by them in their own style.
The idea that these were rehilted for the Souks is ridiculous, as anyone with a small amount of knowledge of the history of Arabia will know that at the time these were imported, the then Colonial Powers were all vying for allegence from the various Arab Tribes, and there was continual fighting going on.
In fact Saudia did not even exist at that time, only coming into existance in the 1930s, and it was not until after WW 2 that Arabia was "opened up" and the first "tourists" started to arrive in any numbers.
So lets try to be a little realistic and accept that not every "different" sword was intended for the Souks!!
Salaams ...Not quite...I believe MK were the importers of such blades and the insignia denotes where the blade was made ie Luckhause and Gunther factory..Anyway the fact is that those blades are acceptable in Ethiopia.
Of the rest you are probably confused but my advice is to observe firstly the most updated information on Swords and Omani Artefacts which is from the Richardson and Dorr manual ... the classic chapter and verse on Omani antiquity. You are miles out on your guestimate about these Yemani swords as they are pure slight of hand straight down the line tourist items which is a pity as the majority of blades arent at all bad. You should therefor envisage what blades are acceptable in which countries on which hilts...Tourism in Oman was non existant in Oman before 1970. In Oman there is no way these Yemeni/Saudia knock ups are acceptable...eccept as I say as tourist items. I cant be fairer than that.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote