View Single Post
Old 1st January 2013, 02:02 AM   #11
kahnjar1

Thanks Jim, and a Happy New Year.
I am not, as Teodor suggests disappointed, as I posted this for COMMENT, good or bad. As you have stated Jim, the term "Bedouin" is indeed used to cover a large area, and perhaps I should more correctly have used term "Arabian". As to the age, the scabbard at least is not new, and is much older than the one in the pic posted by Ibrahiim. I have no doubt that the hilt is a "backyard" piece, but the blade, which may be new or old, is certainly functional as a fighting piece. Even if this piece is from around the 1960s as you suggest, it is still approaching 60 years old now. Not a new made item as are being turned out to catch the unwary, and, I should add, at absolutely rediculous prices.
Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Very well put Teodor, and I very much agree. I personally am not in favor of the 'fake' term despite the fact that there are certainly obvious cases that deserve that description, however sometimes it may be inadvertantly used. I think Ibrahiim does well in helping us become more aware of the variations and types of weapons offered in many of the circumstances he has experienced, and it is not easy to be explicit or candid in explaining these things without sounding harsh. Sometimes the poor standards present in commercial traffic in many examples can be frustrating, especially for those of us working to study the history of weapons forms, and that can sometimes creep into comments.

Actually these ringed hilts do appear to be Yemeni versions or at least seem believed to be from Zanzibar from around the 1960s from one I acquired and information from its source. Some earlier research notes these from Zanzibar (Cavalierre; Jacob) and Buttin considers the examples he shows (1933) as 17th-18th century, so the form seems quite old.Actually these rings were a feature seen on Italian sword forms from 16th century which influenced others as more complex guards developed.

While many of these, as noted, have substantial blades and likely were for actual use, it does seem that the more current markets are indeed producing examples more to satisfy souvenier demands (as seen by the examples Ibrahiim has posted with poorly defined fullers).

I think the Bedouin classification is pretty broadly used, and certainly could refer to any of the tribal groups over most of the Peninsula and other areas.
I have always felt that many of these weapons were intended for actual tribal wear/use but with the knowledge that they would be sold as required to tourists or others. Some with clearly inadequate blades would be the exception.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote