View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2015, 04:30 AM   #19
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
An excellent question Chris!
Actually the 'Rajasthani' designation is a bit cavalier in my view, when attempting to classify these outstanding examples of Indian 'dhal' (shield).
However, in degree in does work as this quite large area of the Indian subcontinent probably did account for good proportion of these as well as many forms of arms and armour.

I believe the assumption might have been set by the dhal with the distinctive crescent above the four bosses. This device is typically representative of the Chandravanshi clan of Rajputs ( E.Jaiwent Paul, p121) which were one of the major lineages of these warrior tribes. The reference to Rajputs typically presumes Rajasthan, though they were in power in other regions outside that geographic designation.

The other examples are typical of a wide range of areas as well, and the one which is purely hide without other adornment except the four bosses resembles one shown in "Oriental Armour" (Robinson, plate XXI, D) as Mahratta 18th c. It should be noted that the 'Mahratta' designation also could be broadly interpreted to the Maratha castes and Empire (1674-1820) which also extended into Rajasthani regions.

The point is that it is very difficult to classify Indian arms by region, much as by specific period, however these seem with good age and character. The Rajput example shows interesting integrity with what appears a working life replacement of one of the radiating backs on one of the bosses which is smaller than the others.

Excellent examples, and I would love to see them amidst a array of tulwars and other Indian arms!
THANKS JIM THATS GREAT INFORMATION,YOU ARE RIGHT THE RAJPUT RULERS EXTENDED THEIR RULE TO GUJRAT,MAHARASHTRA,UTTAR PRADESH AND UPTO NEPAL,INFACT THE RANAS OF NEPAL HAVE MIGRATED FROM RAJASTHAN,CHEERS
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote