View Single Post
Old 20th February 2021, 11:54 AM   #12
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... At least for my own research I would like to know myself and look further on details of the painting (s)? that might suggest the identities of the subjects.
Jim, as already 'lightly' approached, this renaissance huge polyptych (six yards wide) comprises a set of six panels attributed to Nuno Gonçalves, painter and Knight of the royal house of King Dom Afonso V.
Rediscovered in 1883, only after having been restored in 1910, was exhibited to the public. It was then that the (double) central figure in the panels was identified and related with the old altarpiece of the Saint Vincent chapel in the Lisbon head cathedral, a work dated circa 1470.
Saint Vincent (IV century), here dressed with the outfit of a deacon, is profoundly connected with the history of the nation; became patron of the discoveries and also of Lisbon. His tumb was restored circa 1470, which appoints for the panels to be made for such altar.
As for the purpose and identification of the 58+2 persons in the work, there are no less than fourty (educated) interpretations; and still none was so far elected as the exact one.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote