View Single Post
Old 25th November 2005, 06:13 PM   #16
ham

Tim,

There are scarce few Swiss sabers published, particularly online-- that example was accessible and reflects the form of such swords, i.e. a long, backedged blade of shallow curvature with complex guard and hooked pommel. Since all of these were made
1) from component parts
and
2) during a period of considerable formal and mechanical experimentation in ergonomics

one cannot expect precision in terms of comparison. Nonetheless, I was in Paris not long ago and saw 2 fine examples at the Musee de l'Armee, one of which is extremely similar to Eftihis' sword. These are both published in Zablocki's book CIECIA PRAWDZIWA SZABLA Pgs 337 and 339, incidentally.
As for what constitutes "Italian" swords, remember that Italy did not exist as a unified state until the latter 19th century. City states such as Venice, whence the two fine Schiavona swords you picture come, differ appreciably from those used for example, in Florence and other states-- in fact in the case of these swords, they derive from forms imported (along with their users) from across the Adriatic in Dalmatia.
While it may not be high art, I suspect that if cleaned a bit, the guard on Eftihis' sword would show to much better advantage. Bear in mind too, that it is quite worn. These swords are odd pairings of blade and hilt-- and a type worthy of greater research.

Sincerely,

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote