View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Amuk Murugul

Red face

Hullo everybody!

BluErf, I commend you on your hypothesis and wish you every success!

Perhaps you may wish to consider:

Focusing some energies on the period c.1600CE
- were there any refugees who became local potentates in the Patani-Songkhla area? If so, where from?
- is there evidence for this type of hilt during this period or, indeed, earlier?
- Sunda and northern Kalimantan were probably the last 'colonies' of Sri Wijaya (15thC), hence sharing a lot with other former 'colonies'.

To be pedantic, it was indeed the SULTANATES of Banten and Cirebon which were founded by Hidayatullah, with himself as the Sultan of Cirebon and his son Hasannudin as the Sultan of Banten. Prior to this, both areas were part of the Sunda confederation (thus, Sundanese), with Cirebon seceding prior to becoming a Sultanate. BTW, Hidayatullah himself was half Sundanese, his mother being the daughter of Silihwangi (I), while his father was Egyptian/Arab (governor of Egypt?).

So, in terms of keris, it is no surprise to find similarities among former areas of Sunda. As a matter of fact, I would extend that to areas where the Sundanese plied their trade for centuries: such as along the northern coast of Java right through to Nusa Tenggara; also the area of Lampung, with which Sunda had a filial relationship.
Whether something is from either Banten or Cirebon, unless very specific, can become a purely academic debate.

Best,

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 22nd March 2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: minor correction
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote