Thread: A new yataghan
View Single Post
Old 26th December 2011, 11:41 AM   #1
delor

Default A new yataghan

Hello,
I recently made a new yataghan and asked to Jim McDougall whether I might show it here, as I would appreciate feedbacks about my work, especially from all of you being used to real antique weapons. Jim answered that I was welcome to post this piece to promote observations toward historical discussion, so..here I go !
This commission is based on characteristics of real antique yataghans (most of my documentation I got from Ethnographic Arms and Armour Forum, and also from Artzi Yarom Oriental-arms site galleries). Nevertheless, some of the characteristics differs from traditional technics, because of today's constraints, or because of the commission itself. This I would greatly appreciate to discuss with you. So, first of all, here are the main characteristics :
  • the blade is made of wrought steel, 1200 forge welded layers. I was asked to make it as bright as possible, with a very low-contrast pattern, so I choosed two different steels which took bright / light grey colors, so that it finally looks like an ancient blomery steel,
  • as the yataghan was to be shipped to US, I decided not use walrus ivory for the handle. I asked to the US customs services, but never had a 100% guarantee that there will be no problem with walrus ivory, so I used mammoth ivory instead,
  • the scabbard is made of sculpted wood with leather coverage,
  • all the fittings are made of silver plated casted bronze. This was one of the main issues as my client did not want those fittings to be made of embossed / chiseled metal as usually, and asked me to make something that looks more "strong" and "heavy". Mainly, I had to forge the blade with a thiner base, because the blade fitting was thicker than usual ;
  • the fittings patterns have been drawn from antique yataghan pictures ;
  • the blade has been acid etched with a turkish sentence I picked up from an antique yataghan ;
  • yatagan length : 76 cm
  • blade length : 60 cm
  • yataghan weight : 900 gr
  • scabbard weigh : 700 gr

Some photos :
Attached Images

Last edited by delor; 26th December 2011 at 11:08 PM.
delor is offline   Reply With Quote