View Single Post
Old 16th December 2007, 04:16 PM   #30
Sikh_soldier

Default kirpan

Hi guys sorry for the late reply,

Thank you spiral for your comments you are spot on,

Hi Jens, my knowledge on arms and armour is not great, I do know a bit about the sikhs
I know that they adopted many weapons and combat techniques from what was around them, I do not know about other groups in india using the chakar, i.e since when and why they have stopped, but I do know the chakram/chakar does originate with the sikhs.
The introduction of other projectile weapons such as guns may be a reason for it not being as popular, but sikhs will evolve with the times i.e incorporate matchlockss etc while still using and training in the use of chakars and the bow an arrow.

Hi Jeff, the sikhs were the peoples army, and by belief are not allowed to witness any type of injustice take place, and assist those in need, (incl non-militarily)

“If all possible means to restore peace have been exhausted, against oppression or tyranny, where it would be a greater offence not to take action, it is righteous to raise the sword.” 10th guru ji

Therefore, those Sikhs who have taken Amrit (baptised), are compelled to be armed.
therefore, the absolute minimum is to have a kirpan; loosely translated as a single edged blade. this can be anything from 3 inches to 3 feet. Traditionally, a Sikh would carry his kirpan, as well as many other arms. if you look at the pictures I posted above, the first picture (left) you can see that as well as being armed with chakrams, he also carries what appears to be a pistol under his left arm, a firangi and a chrillanum in his Kamarcussa (waistband). one of these may be his kirpan, or be supplementary to it.

However, due to necessity and law, baptised Sikhs only carry the bare minimum. As there are restrictions on size, there is a generic type which most wear.
spiral is right, more traditionally a Sikh could have made different types to choose from.
I have attached a picture of what is used by most, although I do know some who carry the olden types (pesh kabz is a firm favourite!)
Attached Images

Sikh_soldier is offline   Reply With Quote