View Single Post
Old 24th October 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Indianajones

Hello Jacques, very nice Moro kris indeed! My first impression was also, wow so much mother of pearl! Though wanted to add that -as Barry noticed very sharply the MOP on the scabbard may be later- I think the engraved MOP pieces on the top and bottom of the scabbard are probably older as they look more yellowish from handling.

Usually the middle section -now covered with the MOP mozaïk- is wounded with fine rattanstring which brakes easily when old n dried out.

I do feel its all authentically done (no restauration by a dealer or collector) at a later stadium, although they dont have the two dots of the wood pegs to attach them as the pieces on the handle. The long pieces on the handle are also attached at a this later stadium as when handling these pieces would also acquire a much yellower patine from handling.

However as this may sound a bit negative, I believe its not so bad as who wouldnt want to own this magnificent piece! The blade has a very powerfull presence! And its a wonder almost all MOPpiecses are still there.

On style and origins, I would myself not ascribe it to Sulu but more to the mainland of Mindanao >Maranao?< as the handle (geometrically) resembles a horsefoot and Sulu-pieces tend to have more the gracious cockatoo type of handle.

Enjoy the piece n regards, Indiana
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote