View Single Post
Old 27th September 2015, 11:50 PM   #57
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Eric,
Do you agree with all the downloaded museum texts here and on your homepage?
I
do however fail to see, how these pictures and the museum texts brings us any closer to getting an answer to the question - the development of the katar.
Jens, I have changed some of the Mets descriptions, they are certainly not all correct, on pinterest in general it is easy to edit descriptions. Often images from auction houses, museums and dealers do not provide good or full descriptions and it is easy to add additional details if you have that knowledge. I do get messages quite often by people who disagree with some of the descriptions and I do take every effort to check out what they say and correct wrong information. Pinterest does allow you to make a particular board private (secret) so that only you can see what is stored on it, this is helpful when doing reasearch on photos that you are not sure of yet, you can still share links from a private board.

Unfortunately I am not able to add any additional information on development, other than to observe on what you have already stated and to share my thoughts. It is my opinion that the kater may have developed in relation to the development of Indian armor, what may have started out as a light slashing weapon may have had to be significantly strenghtened in order to penetrate the ever stronger armor that Indian warriors wore. Finding older carvings, and illustrations if they are available that can be accurately dated and that show kater (and armor) would be one of the best ways to see the development other than going to India in person.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote