View Single Post
Old 26th October 2023, 10:57 PM   #71
Peter Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspaceman View Post
Are AG's arguments relevant to the subject?
Scythes as 'weapons of war' is the subject; and a fascinating one at that.
It appears to me that the soldiers are waiting on the blacksmiths for blades to be attached to their poles... it is an exceptional image in many ways.
It matters-not what is on the anvil, and any spurious speculation to that end is very much beside the point (no pun intended).
Of course the rural Chinese peasants were masters at developing very effective fighting styles using domestic materials and farming implements.
Please excuse my late appearance.
Hello Keith, Oh I thought so...and it is always a pleasure to attract a response these days... I think it is often dangerous or feels dodgey going out on a limb so far ... and with seemingly absolutely no interaction coming back for what seems like ages... AG Maisey picked up on the interesting word conundrum at his #44 which I might have missed ... .. By the way your detail on SCYTHES Being made at Shotley Bridge was very interesting... I recall a distant memory of looking at the garden spades in my Grandfathers shed which were stamped on the blade with the Shotley Bridge mark...That was when I was about 8... Anyway this thread gives us a chance to tie a lot of stuff in about Scythes being used in Partisan battles ... It also reminds me to try to picture the old Scythe I handled on my Scythe Course near Otterburn a year or two ago which was a Flambouyant bladed item; super sharp but without blademarks ... but what was eye opening was the apparently ancient sharpening tools that all Scythe users are taught... which consists of little wheels and a toffee hammer...and a sharpening stone and which in my view leads us back to the strange sword sharpening system probably used at Shotley Bridge in some form ...I wonder if those little wheels were used on Rapiers or Colchemardes...at Shotley Bridge... The key word is Peening I think.

Regards Peter Hudson
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote